Awwww April in north east Ohio. What a wonderful thing to see life beginning anew. Unfortunately, if you are an allergy or sinus sufferer it may not be so wonderful for your overall health. Stuffy, sneezing, clogged up sinuses that are in part cause by the increased amount of pollen in the air can be a big pain in the buttocks. I see this a lot in the office and have been showing people how to help themselves get some relief. Interested? Keep reading!
You will be using some pressure points located on your face that will mainly affect the frontal and maxillary sinuses. Using these points will help to open them up allowing them to drain which will decrease your chances at getting things like sinus infections and generally just help you breathe a bit easier.
A word of caution before you do it though. Don’t press too hard. I can not tell you how much pressure to use since everyone is different but as a general rule, if it feels like you are pressing too hard, you are so lay off of it. We do not want to cause any damage here so lighter force will most likely serve you well.
The technique itself is pretty simple. Please look at the picture and you will see 2 dots on her forehead with a #1 and 2 dots beside her nose with a #2. Follow these steps:
- Place your middle fingers by the dots at #1. You should feel a small ridge of bone at the end of your eyebrows.
- Press on the points with the amount of pressure that is comfortable to you.
- Hold this pressure and tilt your head backwards for 10 seconds.
- Continue holding the pressure and tilt your head forwards for 10 seconds.
- Continue holding the pressure and tilt your head backwards for 10 seconds.
- Release the pressure from the dots and #1 and put your fingers on the dots at #2. Hold pressure here for a second.
- Continue holding pressure at the #2 dots and tilt your head forward to 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds of tilting your head forward bring your head back to a neurtral or starting position.
There you go. You will most likely feel more of a dripping into the back of your throat as the clogged areas start to clear themselves out a bit.
Christopher Foust, DC, DACBSP
Synergy Chiropractic, LLC
790 Lafayette Rd Ste 1 Medina, OH 44256